The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a premier National Professional body established by Act of Parliament to develop and regulate the Profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI imparts training in Company Secretaryship by Distance Learning (by correspondence) enabling students to qualify as Company Secretaries.
The Company Secretary is:
Stages to become a Company Secretary :
1. The student who would like to join this CS Course after 10+2 has to undergo three stages to pursue the Company Secretaries Course i.e.
2. In addition, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months which a student may opt to start after passing the Executive Programme.
3. The Student who would like to join the Course after passing the Graduation (Example : B.com) has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship i.e.
Besides, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months.
4. Foundation Programme which is of eight months duration can be pursued by 10+2 pass students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream.
5. Executive Programme can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
6. Professional Programme can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Programme of CS Course.
7. Training: A Student has to undergo 15 months Management Training in Companies sponsored by the Institute after passing the Executive or Professional Programme or under the guidance of a Company Secretary in Practice.
8. After qualifying Professional Examination and on successful completion of training a candidate is admitted as an Associate Member of the ICSI and can use the letters ACS after his/her name i.e. Associate Company Secretary.